Sex Trafficking Laws in Arizona: A.R.S. 13-1307
A.R.S. 13-1307 targets sex trafficking and prostitution, aiming to eradicate this crime. It criminalizes knowingly trafficking adults (18 or older) for prostitution or sexually explicit performances through deception, force, or coercion. This covers both individuals with the intent to coerce and those who are aware of coercion.
The statute, here, defines key terms:
- Coercion: Encompassing tactics like legal abuse, document confiscation, extortion, financial harm, and controlling access to substances.
- Force: Including causing harm or threats of harm, physical restraint, or threats thereof.
- Sexually Explicit Performance: Live or public acts intended to arouse sexual desires or prurient interest.
- Traffic: Covering enticement, recruitment, harboring, transportation, or other methods of obtaining another person.
Penalties are severe, classifying the offense as a class 2 felony, the highest class possible. Convicted individuals are ineligible for sentence suspension, probation, pardon, or early release except under specific conditions. A conviction could lead to a prison sentence of up to 12.5 years, with additional penalties if the crime involved minors.
Sex trafficking per A.R.S. 13-1307 differs from misdemeanor prostitution per A.R.S. 13-3214, which can be read about here.
Arizona takes prostitution and sex trafficking charges seriously. In February 2023, over 300 people were apprehended in the Phoenix area following the Super Bowl for street prostitution, attempting to pay for sex with minors, and online predation. According to AZFamily Digital News’s article, over 100 officers from multiple law enforcement and government agencies, for both Arizona and the federal government, led the operation, which resulted in 48 felony arrests and about 300 misdemeanor arrests.
RIDEOUT LAW GROUP
With offices in Lake Havasu City and Scottsdale, our firm serves the entire state of Arizona, with a particular focus on criminal defense, family law, and juvenile cases.
Our goal is for the best outcome for your criminal case, which can include:
- charges that are reduced or dropped.
- top experts reviewing your case.
- aggressive negotiations with the prosecution for plea bargains.
- fines or probation in lieu of jail time.
At Rideout Law Group, our attorneys are able to expertly examine the evidence in your case to provide a strong strategy for argument that leads to an outcome that is most favorable to you. We have experience in all types of criminal cases for both adults and juveniles, with positive outcomes both in plea negotiations as well as jury trial settings.
Call us today for a free consultation at 480-584-3328.