What is a Restricted License?

Restricted license.

What is a Restricted License?

Any DUI offense in the state of Arizona will result in the offender’s license being suspended for up to one year. However, you may apply for a restricted license if your license suspension was a result of:

  • A DUI, or
  • A violation of insurance laws, and
  • Your record indicated no other withdrawal action.

How Can I Get a Restricted License?

The guidelines surrounding restricted licenses vary depending on whether the license suspension resulted from a DUI or an insurance violation.


DUI offenders will not be issued a restricted license until at least 30 days of their license suspension has been served.

Drivers will need to complete an alcohol screening from an MVD-approved counseling agency and attend Traffic Survival School.

Once eligible, drivers must visit a Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office in-person to obtain a restricted license. Offices are located throughout the state of Arizona.

Anyone who had their license suspension upheld following an MVD hearing can obtain a restricted license from an MVD office or an authorized Third Party License Provider once they have served their 30 days of suspension.

Insurance Violation

Those who violated auto insurance laws may apply for a restricted license at an MVD office or an authorized Third Party License Provider.

Drivers will also be required to provide proof of Future Financial Responsibility. This is either an SR-22 certificate of insurance or a certificate from the Arizona Office of Treasurer.

What Does a Restricted License Allow Me to Do?

Those who are driving on a restricted license are permitted to drive only in the following instances:

  • To and from your place of employment.
  • While on the job.
  • To and from school.
  • To and from a treatment center (for DUI offenders).

Drivers may not drive anywhere other than the explicitly permitted locations, and they may also face additional restrictions, such as not being permitted to drive at night. Drivers on restricted licenses may not even drive to court, gas stations, or grocery stores.

Can I Get a Restricted License if I am an Out-of-State Resident Who Got a DUI in Arizona?

No. Only Arizona residents are eligible for Arizona restricted licenses. Out-of-state DUI offenders must serve their entire license suspension period and can also face additional penalties in their state of residence as a result of their charge or conviction in Arizona.

What Happens if a Violate Restricted License Rules?

Anyone who is caught driving where or when they are not permitted to be according to their restricted license is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor, pursuant to A.R.S. 28-3480. This can result in incarceration of up to four months.

What is a Special Ignition Interlock Restricted License?

DUI offenders who received their violation on or after February 1st, 2006 may be eligible for a Special Ignition Interlock Restricted License. The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) provides the following requirements:

  • Completion of at least 90 days of the mandated suspension period.
  • Verification of eligibility with the MVD.
  • No other outstanding withdrawal actions pending on driving record.
  • Installation of an ignition interlock on vehicle with a Verification of Installation form to be provided to the MVD.
  • Compliance with mandatory alcohol treatment programs (if required) and submission of proof of completion to the MVD.
  • Submission of proof of future financial responsibility to the MVD (e.g., certificate of automobile liability insurance known as an SR-22).
  • Payment of all applicable fees.



With offices in Lake Havasu City and Scottsdale, our firm serves the entire state of Arizona, with a particular focus on criminal defense, family law, and juvenile cases.

Our goal is for the best outcome for your criminal case, which can include:

  • charges that are reduced or dropped.
  • top experts reviewing your case.
  • aggressive negotiations with the prosecution for plea bargains.
  • fines or probation in lieu of jail time.

At Rideout Law Group, our attorneys are able to expertly examine the evidence in your case to provide a strong strategy for argument that leads to an outcome that is most favorable to you. We have experience in all types of criminal cases for both adults and juveniles, with positive outcomes both in plea negotiations as well as jury trial settings.

Call us today for a free consultation at 480-584-3328.

Scroll to Top
This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.